Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Values of News

By: Alexandria Somers

BLUE BELL, PA--The first thing I do before getting in a relationship is find out if the person is honest, trustworthy, and loyal. This doesn’t just go for romantic relationships, this is a standard for any relationship I get into.
 

Who would want to have relations with a liar? The only thing you gain out of a relationship with a liar is patience. I am a full time college student, I work two jobs, and play sports; I don’t have time to waste. I look for the same things I look for in a relationship in the media that relays me the news. Telling the truth and the whole truth is a concept all Americans are aware of, so getting the truth from the media is expected. Throughout the day, my time is valuable. 
 

If I so happen to walk past a television that has the news on, or if I’m in my car listening to the radio newscast, I expect to hear truthful and informative news stories. Having News Values protects the media and gives it credibility. With the knowledge I am gaining from the news, it will give me a better understanding of the world and what is going on around me.
 

The Wikipedia definition of News Values, sometimes called news criteria, as determining how much prominence a news story is given by a media outlet and the attention it is given by the audience. 
 

The Associated Press stated that they insist on the highest standards of integrity and ethical behavior when they gather and deliver the news. This ensures that I am informed correctly and not ignorant to important information I should know as an American consumer. The great general manager of the AP, Melville Stone stated in 1914 that, "the thing [the news] is striving for is a truthful, unbiased report of the world's happenings … ethical in the highest degree”. 
 

As a communications major at Montgomery County Community College, I am very critical when I interview people for a primary source. There are many rules and guidelines I have to abide by so that my work is credible and informative. Visiting sites such as www.ap.org is a great way to hone in on what standards and practices need to be followed to make writing and research better.
 

There are so many different ways of how information can be displayed, such as, Anonymous Sources, Audio, Bylines, Datelines, Fabrications, etc. which can be learned by the way the Associated Press presents its stories. News Values is a critical topic that all media creators need to understand and apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment