Monday, November 25, 2013

Video Games Hurt Montco’s Healthy Lifestyle

By: Jordan Ly

BLUE BELL, PA--Students who heavily play sports or first person shooting video games, such as Madden and Call of Duty, have their health and lifestyle affected in a negative way. “I can’t stop playing Call of Duty, even in high school I couldn’t, not that I want to stop because I find it a lot more fun than doing schoolwork, it does make me procrastinate so much more, but it’s also enjoyable to play with your friends” said Nick Machion of Montco. “The only bad thing about it is that I don’t sleep much when they release the new Call of Duty every year.” The impact of these video games, especially the first person shooting games, like Call of Duty has been an ongoing problem around the country for years. Instead of prepping for schoolwork or being active physically on their bodies, students have decided to spend a great deal of time gaming that even affects their sleep pattern.

“Researchers say the participants who exercised reported that their sleep quality improved, raising their diagnosis from poor to good sleeper,” states WebMD.com. Though video games can be a stress reliever for strong gamers, it can also easily bring stress and negatively affect a person psychologically and socially. “If it wasn’t for Madden, I wouldn’t have the knowledge of the basics of football, I might not even be on the football team I am on today, video games are too fun and I don’t intend on stopping, but since I don’t have much time during the week it cuts into my gym time” says Chris Guardino, who attends Montco and plays for a Philadelphia semi pro football team. Sports video games can also help mentally and relate to being physically active by teaching you the basics of the sport, but still impacts the health lifestyle of students in a bad way. Though video game genres are different and they affect gamers’ health differently, they still bring them into the same place, which is picking a controller and sitting in front of a television set rather than go to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment